Centennial Books, November 2005, ISBN 0-9762214-1-1. 221 pages. $15 PDF, $29.99 paper.
Click here to order the PDF.
PMD Applied shows you how to use PMD more effectively and explains how PMD works internally. It's got chapters on writing your own rules, best practices, a survey of Java open source code analysis tools, and much more. It's written by Tom Copeland, the lead PMD developer.
- PMD Applied is the authoritative reference on how to effectively utilize and contribute to PMD and it's written by the authority on PMD! It's a great read and a must have for any Java developer looking to improve code quality. -- Andrew Glover
- If you want to make PMD work creatively and if you have the inclination, then this is the book. -- Sivakumar Mambakkam
- [PMD Applied] is an excellent resource for those who want to get the most out of PMD. -- Dr. Stephen Edwards, VA Tech CS Dept
Reviews and interviews
- If you use or are considering using PMD for static analysis of Java code, then this book should be by your side -- review by Simon Chappell at techbook.info
- I would give it a rating of 9/10 -- review by Meera Subbarao at JavaLobby
- ...one can get complete working knowledge of PMD, its internals, its best practices and customization, etc - no stone is left unturned. -- review by Krish Bhargav, java-tips.org
- ...a solid resource to have in any Java Developer's library and lib directory. -- review by Keith Casey, Casey Software
- JavaPosse interviews Tom about PMD and PMD Applied
- The Rails podcast (i.e., Geoffrey Groesenbach) interviews Tom about RubyForge, PMD and PMD Applied